What is a Retirement Annuity?
A Retirement Annuity (RA) is a savings structure / product aimed at individuals who wish to save for their retirement. It is governed by legislation that enables the investor (you) the benefit of tax deductions for making provision for your retirement. Beanstalk provides access to "new generation, Unit Trust-based RA's" in the form of the Allan Gray Retirement Annuity Fund administered by Allan Gray Investment Services Proprietary Limited. This retirement annuity is both flexible and transparent as it is invested into Collective Investments (previously called Unit Trusts), and allows the investor a great deal of flexibility to increase, decrease, stop and restart their premiums without penalty.
Understanding the tax benefits of a Retirement Annuity
The Income Tax Act allows investors to deduct, annually, their contributions to a Retirement Annuity the greater of:
- A minimum tax deduction of R1,750
- or R3,500 less any contributions made to a pension fund
- or 15% of your non-retirement funding income less allowable deductions
Retirement Annuities are also protected against creditors.
Understanding how a Retirement Annuity is Redeemed
You may retire from a Retirement Annuity from the age of 55. When you retire from the fund:
- You may access 1/3 (one third) of your capital in cash, of which the first R500,000 is tax free. Any portion of this amount is taxed using an increasing tax scale. This capital is referred to as a lump sum retirement. See below for information about the current tax rates on withdrawals.
- The remaining 2/3's (two thirds) must be used to purchase an Income Annuity. The choices include a Life Annuity or Living Annuity, both of which are products that pay you a regular income which is taxable as income.
|Taxable income from lump sum||Rate of tax|
|R0 – R500,000
|R 500 001 – R 700 000
||18% of amount exceeding R 500 000
|R 700 001 – R 1 050 000
||R 36 000 plus 27% of amount exceeding R 700 000
|R 1 050 001 and above
||R 130 500 plus 36% of amount exceeding R 1 050 000
NOTE: This table is applicable to all your Retirement Funds. Last updated March 2014.
Call us on 021 828 2890 or email us if you require further explanation or would like advice on the structuring of your retirement benefits.
What risks am I taking?
The value of your unit trust is directly linked to the market value of the underlying investments and is not guaranteed (i.e. it may move up and down). Past performance of the underlying investments is not necessarily a guide to the future. You carry the risk of market losses. See our explanations of Aggressive, Moderate and Conservative Risk Profiles to put this into perspective.
Ready to grow your wealth? Click here to invest in a Retirement Annuity Fund.